top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Early College High School?
An Early College High School allows students to earn a high school diploma and typically an Associate degree, or up to two years of college credit, by taking a combination of high school and college classes.  Pathways ECA goes beyond this by offering students a program that leads to a full and accredited Bachelor’s degree within the four years of high school.
Who can participate in PECA's Early College High School Program?
High school and college courses are available for students in grades 9-12. 7th and 8th graders are welcome to apply to the upcoming school year.
How can I apply for PECA’s Early College program?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Students and parents should refer to the Admissions Page and carefully follow the directions in the application to avoid delays in the process.
What types of degrees and programs are available?
We currently offer degrees in Business Administration and Liberal Studies. Our students will be able to choose from a variety of courses that follow educational roadmaps designed to maximize dual high school and college credit in three available areas of study: STEM, Art, and Business. Additional degree paths will be continually created based on student interest. 
Will I get College Credit for Taking Courses?
Yes! With very few exceptions, almost all of the courses offered at The Academy lead to college credit. In partnership with Pathways College, Academy students take articulated high school courses as well as dual enrollment. 
Are the college credits earned at PECA transferable to other university institutions?
Yes. Students at the Academy will be enrolled in college courses in partnership with our WASC-accredited college partner, Pathways College. The credits earned at The Academy will be eligible for transfer to other institutions. However, like with all transfer credits, the acceptance of transfer credits is strictly at the discretion of the receiving institution.
Why should I participate in PECA’s early college program instead of just taking AP classes in high school?
AP courses are limited to a small number of core high school subjects while all courses at The Academy lead directly to an accredited college degree.  AP courses are also often restricted so that only some students at the high school are able to take them.
Students at The Academy will have a college transcript and will receive college credit as soon as they successfully complete a college class, whereas AP students must complete the course and score a minimum score on the national AP exam in that subject area in order to be considered for credit. The minimum AP exam score accepted for college credit varies by institution and many colleges do not accept AP credits, but college credits earned by Academy students are transferable.
If I have an IEP at my school, can I get the same accommodations at PECA?
The Academy is committed to providing academic, life, college, and career support for all our students. For students with special needs, please submit your IEP or therapist recommended accommodations to along with your transcripts. 
Don't see your question?
Reach out to our Admissions Team with any questions at OR give us a call at (800) 604-8275.

bottom of page